Counsel, Asset Management and Project Delivery
Generate Capital invests in sustainable solutions spanning the infrastructure technology set, including in solar, fuel cell, CHP, microgrid, smart cities, and mobility sectors. This position will provide legal support to the project delivery and asset management teams that are directly responsible for revenue generation and will be responsible for managing associated legal risks, processes, and procedures. We are looking for someone process- and results-oriented, passionate about the type of work Generate is doing, looking to apply their experience as project development and project finance lawyer to work across technologies spanning the resource revolution. This is a unique opportunity to work on all aspects of delivering and operating sustainable infrastructure solutions on the cutting edge of the resource revolution.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as Counsel, Asset Management, and Project Delivery (Operations):
- Provide support to the Asset Management team in connection with financial, commercial, technical, and legal management of operational solar projects, energy storage projects, fuel cell projects, CHP projects, microgrid projects, smart cities projects, mobility projects, energy efficiency installations and other types of sustainable infrastructure. Work with asset managers to respond to ongoing matters on the portfolio, including amendments to service contracts (O&M agreements, management services agreements), project documents (feedstock agreements, PPAs, energy services agreement), financing arrangements (debt, tax equity, and/or co-sponsor equity), and other types of arrangements to support the smooth operation of our assets.
- Provide support to the Project Delivery team in connection with sustainable infrastructure projects that have not yet achieved commercial operation. Work with team members in pre-COD activities including running RFP processes for contractors; negotiation of contracts for engineering, procurement and construction, operation, and maintenance; reviewing notices from and providing notices to service providers, including potential notices of deficiencies in services.
- Provide guidance on resolving disputes arising during construction or commercial operations, drafting and negotiating settlement agreements or amendments. As needed, pursue remedies, including enforcement of collateral rights and warranty claims, and provide potential strategic pre-litigation guidance.
- Interact with governmental authorities with respect to permit renewals and modifications and respond to notices of violations and develop remedial plans with the assistance of local counsel.
- Independently provide leadership on cross-functional teams and business units, identify legal issues affecting the portfolio, provide legal options and analysis of possible legal solutions, and give recommendations for addressing critical issues so that business and legal objectives are met.
- Apply your experience, your good judgment, and your acumen generally to creating scale solutions, processes, and responses to a diverse portfolio of operating assets.
- Assist in the training and development of the asset management team by expanding their understanding of the legal and operations frameworks, trade-offs, and associated documentation.
- Provide general advice and contract support to the Company.
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
Submit Your Resume
- 6+ years at a law firm and/or in-house experience representing sponsors, developers, or IPPs owning sustainable energy assets.
- Demonstrated ability to draft and negotiate various types of project development agreements, including site control, offtake, interconnection and transmission, EPC and O&M, and fuel supply (as applicable).
- Familiarity with project finance and project and equity acquisitions.
- Ability to draft and negotiate general commercial contracts, including agreements for consulting services, authorized service provider agreements, monitoring services, and SaaS solutions.
- Prior experience in informal or formal dispute resolution.
- A passion for, or demonstrated commitment to, our mission: proving that sustainability pays.
- Ability to swiftly complete a project, consummate transactions, and drive to resolution/solution to issues small and large.
- Expert at applying knowledge in one industry/sector into new areas of investment.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges.
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode.
- Superior project and time management skills and high attention to detail.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Ability to focus on details while also able to see long-term goals and obstacles.