Counsel – Europe
Generate Capital aims to provide any capital solution that our partners may require. While thus far our efforts have been focused largely on North America, the Resource Revolution requires a global approach. With that in mind, Generate Capital established an office in the U.K, our first outside of the U.S., by attracting top talent in the sustainable finance space. In 2021, the team closed its first major transactions.
We are looking for a process- and results-oriented attorney, passionate about the type of work Generate is doing, and looking to apply their experience as a transactional, project finance and secured lending lawyer to help scale a growing team, integrate with the rest of the Company, and drive critical internal process efficiencies. This is a unique opportunity to be part of an experienced team at a new office as they expand on Generate’s vision throughout Europe.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Counsel
- Provide legal and transactional support to the U.K. Investment Team, which offers innovative financing solutions to developers and operators in the renewable energy and sustainability space through project acquisition, corporate M&A, minority corporate investments, and debt financings.
- Apply your experience and understanding of financial instruments and local markets to structure, draft and negotiate financing documentation and ensure smooth integration into Generate’s portfolio.
- Act as a strategic adviser to the U.K. team as they interact with early-stage and experienced developers.
- Drive the standardization of transaction structures, processes, and documentation across the U.K. portfolio in coordination with your U.S. colleagues, including creating forms to increase efficiency.
- Support cross-functional teams within Generate Capital, including legal, tax, FP&A, treasury, accounting etc. to lessen friction and ensure smooth integration.
- Manage outside counsel in advising on more complicated transactions and ensure outside counsel provides usable advice to the business team.
- Provide general advice and contract negotiation support to Generate.
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
Submit Your Resume
- A demonstrated passion for or commitment to our mission
- 6+ years representing companies, borrowers and lenders in cross-border financing transactions, preferably project financing of energy or infrastructure assets, secured lending, and project and corporate M&A at a law firm and/or in-house at a private fund or developer.
- Experience as a transaction attorney drafting and negotiating documentation and leading a transaction to a swift and complete closing or with outside counsel support for larger and complicated deals.
- Helpful additional experience includes general corporate work for UK and EU countries.
- Expert at applying knowledge in one industry/sector into new areas of investment.
- Ability to negotiate with counterparties engaging in financing for the first time.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple ongoing projects.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references.
- Ability and willingness to identify gaps and needs in a new business and propose solutions and structures to solve those needs.
- Ability and willingness to work across teams and time zones to shepherd everyone toward successful outcomes.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting novel challenges.
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode.
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”. You do not need to be an expert in everything, but you need to be willing to take it on and figure it out with your teammates and outside experts.